Carinya Society is a special place. It is a place where outstanding service is not so much a philosophy, but a way of life. It is a place that respects human dignity, celebrates diversity and holds passionately the belief that individual worth is an intrinsic right of every person.
Job Vacancies at Carinya Society
Click on the links below to find out how to apply, plus for more information on current positions.
Support Worker Part-time and Casual Support Workers.
Carinya Society began as Coburg Helping Hand Association on the Eighth of December 1952. Mrs Hilda Morrow (Webster), Mrs. Dowling and people with Disabled Children met and formed a committee to establish an Activity Day Centre in the Coburg area. Their aim was to provide the children with a better existence and a chance to reach full potential. The Victorian Helping Hand Association provided the fledging body with guidance and assistance.
The Centre primarily operated two days a week and later three days a week in the Coburg Football Pavilion, provided by the Coburg Council. In 1957 the first school building was erected on Council granted land in Bellevue Street. The children finally attended a full week of day activities.
The State Government of Victoria, the Victorian Helping Hand Association, Coburg Council, Coburg Rotary Club and the Post Office Hotel Social Club assisted the establishment of the Activity Centre on the present site. The demand for placements increased, creating the need for an extra building and the establishment of an Annexe at Congram Street Broadmeadows which commenced in 1973. The Annexe in Broadmeadows later became a separate identity.
Over the years many changes have taken place. The main changes were the erection of a hall, industrial area and the transfer of the Junior School of the Education Department as a Special Development School. This ended an era of service to children and adults. The Society now caters for Adults over 18 years of age in the provision of specialized training andresidential care.
The community has always been a conclusive part of the organization's existence. It has been involved in the financial support, integrated training, recreation and social activity. On the 1st January 2001 as well as a change of name to Carinya Society it became a company limited by guarantee.
2009 and Onwards
A major redevelopment of facilities is now complete, which has ultimately created a modern, multi-functional centre that better meets the special needs of both residents and clients.
Altogether the redevelopment includes: updated art and craft facilities; a computer room for training and internet use; a sensory garden to provide recreational opportunities; a sensory room containing equipment to stimulate the senses; updated areas including the installation of new kitchen and laundry facilities; a new entrance and drop-off area for better access for buses and other vehicles; relocation of the reception area with improved access for visitors and the community. As well as modern office areas, the new administration building also offers a conference room and catering facilities.
While he centre will serve the needs of clients, it will also be available to the wider community. The new sensory and therapy rooms and the sensory garden will be available to other health organisations for patient treatment and rehabilitation. The new multi-purpose community rooms, conference room, dining room and catering facilities will also be accessible to the wider community.